Hoofdsponsor

1/35 M4A3E8 SHERMAN "Easy Eight" - Tamiya (wip)

Small addition:

- Why is Vallejo primer inferior? It doesn't airbrush in too comfortable a manner, as your posts have also demonstrated. What's worse is it can hardly be sanded, so one of the basic purposes for priming (=detecting flaws on your model, correcting them and priming once more) is virtually impossible.
- Why is Alclad better? I simply can't imagine any better primer and I'll probably never try. Very easy to apply, very easy to clean airbrush. Only strings attached are need for ventilation and mask.

B.t.w. I'm a big Vallejo fan overall and will use their Model Air paints whenever I can, but can't see any use for their primer.
B.t.w. 2: sanding of primer is often a good idea and sometimes necessary to optimise results, for example to achieve a mirror-shine car body. On 1/35 it's a good idea to sand (or rather, polish) the primer slightly, although most no modeller takes the trouble. Unjustly so, in my opinion.
B.t.w. 3: there are more advantages of using a lacquer primer to using an acryl-based primer, such as that it can't be affected when modifying your 2nd layer of paint (=acrylic). Won't get into detail here though, if you have any question do ask.

Laatst bewerkt:
Then my advise is simpler: don't use Vallejo primer. It's inferior as a primer, in my honest opinion (which may differ from others, but this is mine). Use Alclad Grey Primer & Microfiller thinned with any lacquer thinner. Wear mask and use spray booth.

If you don't have a spray booth or for any reason you don't want to try my suggestion (or you can't) then try using a larger sized nozzle. You can't use 0,2mm. for example, minimum would be 0,4.

Thanks for tips. Sadly I dont have space for a paint booth (at least in wintertime) - may add one in my garden house but is rather cold in there in winter - this is the reason I prefer acryls. I use a small storage room inside house to paint, but is not well ventilated.
As airbrush I use a low-end Timbertech set (airbrush + compressor was 70 EUR) with 0.30mm. Set have a 0.50mm as well, but never tested; The Ammo primer with retarder works really well with this airbrush (at least on scrap plastics). Painting is also great - no complains;

Previous model I painted using an old Revell beginner set (had it since few years as I used it for something else than modelling) but was terrible - 3 steps pressure control and always painting to the left (like 10 or 11 hour) instead of straight - so had to be creative (shoot right to paint left :)) )

Laatst bewerkt:
So why change winning horses and rid the Ammo primer? (May have missed it but quite busy switching between several topics and work)

So why change winning horses and rid the Ammo primer? (May have missed it but quite busy switching between several topics and work)

Just asked for opinions as I am new to this and willing to learn:8. thanks

No criticism intended, I'm just curious why you'd want to change to Vallejo primer considering that you've achieved good results with Ammo primer.

No criticism intended, I'm just curious why you'd want to change to Vallejo primer considering that you've achieved good results with Ammo primer.

First model I made was primed with Vallejo (as in the bottle) as I didnt knew anything about primers and was first on the list of acryl primers from webshop. Had all the issues and sweat and decided to look further and learn more. On different forums, Vallejo is highly appreciated BUT only if used with retarder + thinner. Also, others are very against it and recommend Tamiya or others;

So when I ordered my second model (the current Sherman) ordered retarder, but also Tamiya can primer and Mig primer (just because I like a lot how their paints works). With this model try to learn the best way into primers. I tested 3 types and asked around this forum if my choices are decently good or I am making someting wrong again;
I am really beginner and have to be sure that is paint or my method the culprit when someting goes south.

Ah you're just looking around to decide upon which is the best primer for you, basically.

Well, retarder is one variable (which I personally only highly rarely use) while thinner is another; airbrushing pressure is yet another. I'd focus on simply thinning more if I were you.

To find out what works best for you, you could do this:

1) Find a scrap piece of plastic, for example a plastic bottle.
2) Clean your airbrush as thoroughly as you can (no need for micro-cleaning with special tools... just cleaning or thinning fluid mixed with a considerable amount of elbow grease ;) ). Be sure nozzle and needle are near mint when done.
3) Check whether needle tip is perfectly straight. Spray some pure water while studying airbrush perpendicularly from the side and assure yourself that the spray is even, smooth and centered.
4) Once you're sure the airbrush is okay and clean, mix a few drops of Vallejo primer and TWICE the amount of thinner you used thus far, in a jar. Note the number of primer dots + thinner dots. Don't use any retarder. Don't use your airbrush cup.
5) Having stirred adequately, pour the mixture in your airbrush. Use air pressure of 1 bar. Spray and test on scrap piece. Write down your findings (too thin / too thick?).
6) Clean airbrush.
7) If ratio @5 was too thin, try again but now with fewer drops of thinner. Write down once more (too thin / too thick?).
8 ) Clean airbrush.
9) Continuing so, try to find the ultimate mix.
10) Write it down here and on the other forums for everyone to learn.

Once you found the best ratio, you can exchange some drops of thinner with an equal amount of drops of retarder, if so desired, to even further improve your formula.

Laatst bewerkt:
Heel erg bedankt, echt een leuke manier om door te gaan; Ik wil inderdaad alleen de beste primer vinden die voor mij werkt.
Een close-up foto van Vallejo primer gebruikt zoals in fles. Dit is wat ik in de eerste plaats wil vermijden;

attachment.jpg

dit is het enige forum waar ik actief op ben, op anderen alleen lezen als "gast"

Dat is inderdaad niet wat je wilt.

Nog een tip, gebruik een leeg theezakje (piramidevormig) om de primer te filteren voor gebruik. Soms zitten er stofjes of andere oneffenheden in en daar raakt je nozzle door verstopt c.q. krijg je dit soort spetters. Deze tip geldt ook voor gewone verf.

Na veel testen en nog meer geverfde flessen (bedankt Roy) denk ik dat de primer vanaf nu de Ammo (MIG) zal gebruiken.
Torentje hieronder is geverfd met Tamiya - ziet er OK uit, maar te dik en ik hou niet van de geur
Wielen zijn geverfd met Ammo (MIG) primer en zien er echt goed uit - sorry voor telefoonfoto's;
Vallejo-primer - met elke mix van dunner, druk - werkt niet voor mij
Voor de beste resultaten van AMMO primer krijg ik 10 druppels primer + 10 druppels verdunner + 2 druppels Airbrush flow improver

attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg

Ah kijk daar had ik nog nooit een verhouding van gehoord, die Ammo verfjes, ik zal 'm onthouden. Merci voor het delen.

Primerlaag ziet er prima uit.

Als Vallejo Primer voor jou niet werkt, gewoon lekker doorgaan met Ammo. Voor elke bouwer geldt toch een uniek / individueel pakket aan ideale middeltjes en technieken en Vallejo Primer zit kennelijk niet in dat van jou.

Inderdaad. Het belangrijkste probleem met Vallejo (voor mij) is dat het droogt en blijft hangen aan de airbrushnaald en dat sommige gedroogde deeltjes op het model vallen. Om de 5 minuten moet u de airbrush volledig openen en reinigen. Dit gebeurt niet met andere;
Misschien is het probleem met mijn goedkope airbrush, maar zal zeker blijven bij wat de beste resultaten geeft;

Inderdaad iedereen werk zo met zijn eigen middeltjes ikzelf zweer bij Vallejo primer, beetje verdunnen met water en klaar voor gebruik.

Dit model heeft zoveel wielen :ohmy:... Maar langzaam worden ze leuk.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Lopend weathering ... moet nog worden gewassen om verbeterd te worden.
attachment.jpg

Om met Roy mee te gaan gebruik ik op voorhand gesneden stukjes nylon kous die ik met een rekkertje op mijn AB span en daar dan direct mijn verf in de beker van mijn AB giet daarna gewoon weg smijten , en met een setje nylons kom je een heel eind ver hoor , natuurlijk die niet nemen met het visnet motief zal dan niet veel uithalen :D
Marc

Status van het model zoals vandaag - schilderen gedaan, nu komen details

attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg

Zeer netjes en strak gebouwd en gespoten deze Sherman, ook je figuur ziet er veelbelovend uit. Benieuwd hoe je hem gaat afwerken

Greetzzzz Modest

De Sherman is eindelijk klaar. Hier is een eerste foto ervan - ik heb niet teveel tijd om meer te uploaden, maar die dagen zullen meer toevoegen;
Persoonlijk denk ik dat het veel beter kwam dan mijn vorige model, maar kritiek is welkom :)

0100-2250x1500_orig.jpg

tweede foto
0101-2250x1500_orig.jpg

Laatst bewerkt:
Ik denk niet dat de jerrycans er los op stonden achteraan maar zeg er ineens bij dat ik er weinig over weet .Mooi werk in ieder geval.

Ik sluit mij aan bij de opmerking van Pascal. Ik zou de jerrycans eveneens vastmaken.
Voor de rest, een zeer mooi model.
Ben benieuwd naar uw volgend project.
Mvg

Users who are viewing this thread

Terug
Bovenaan